Wednesday 31 October 2012

How to row like a pro

For a larger infographic or download, click here
I am not a physically active person by nature. I would do everything I could to avoid Phys Ed at school. If hand-eye-ball coordination could be measured with numbers, with {10 = Roger Federer} and {0 = tries to throw a ball forwards and instead throws it backwards}, I would be {-1 = tries to throw a ball and instead pokes herself in the eye with a cucumber}. Even the way I jog brings uncontrollable fits of laughter amongst my peers.

But let's be honest. No healthy lifestyle is complete without a good dose of physical activity.

My main problem, as is everything in my life, is moderation and balance. When I do exercise, it's a 30 minute run in the morning, then an hour of boot camp followed by an hour of kickboxing in the evening. I get fit, I get toned, I get bored and tired and then I get useless. I stop. Completely.

That, incidently, is where I am now. And I am terrified to go back, because 4 months ago I could do 100 sit-ups straight and now I can barely climb the stairs without a pep talk from Rooms.

But here I go again. Trying, as always, to achieve moderation and balance, I will start off with 20 minutes gym rowing every day for a week and work my way up from there. I like rowing. You get to sit down. And it has fantastic benefits. The problem is, as my Rooms the physiotherapist says, nobody seems to know how to do it properly at gym. So I did some research and this is what I came up with. I'm sharing it with you all.

BIG disclaimer: I can barely identify the treadmills at gym. I have no experience in this. But this infographic is based on research from a reliable, scientific source, and from input from a qualified physiotherapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate the time taken to comment on my blog! All your input helps me to make posts that are better for you, my dear reader, so thank you. I appreciate constructive criticism but I will remove any negative or hateful comments. This is a place of love and happiness!

About Me

My photo
South Africa
Thanks for stopping by! My name is Amanda and I am an (unlikely) registered dietitian. Join me as I figure out how to fix my own dysfunctional relationship with food and fully embrace health, happiness and self-love.

Disclaimer

All content in my blog, other than personal experiences and opinions, is based on scientific research. For exact sources and references, please make a request in the comments section and I shall provide them as soon as I am able.

I try to credit all images that are not my own. If I have credited an image incorrectly, please inform me so that I can correct this as soon as possible.

Condition of agreement

Sharing of content and images from this site is permissible, however I do request that I am credited and that a link is made to the original post. Failure to do this is an infringement of copyright.